Monday, September 19, 2011

Bad sleeping habits and babysitting

Ella has become extremely busy lately. She learned to crawl about a month ago. I was starting to worry because she was 10 months old and still not crawling. Now I wish she would just sit. Not only has crawling made it harder to clean and cook while she is awake, it has made for a bad sleeper. Ella used to take 3 naps a day and all I would have to do is lay her in the crib and she would fall asleep. It has become quite the task to get her to take one nap a day. James or I have to rock her, lay by her in our bed, or hold her while we watch a movie to get her to sleep. I never thought this day would come. What happened? Well I am hoping it is just a phase. I really think it is because of teething. I blame it on that but who knows. If any of you have any advice, please feel free to offer it.

Here is Ella's first attempt at crawling. You are better off muting the video.

I started watching a three year old a few weeks ago and it has been quite the adventure. He is a very busy boy and can't talk yet. He spends most of his time playing on the stairs. One of his favorite activities is taking the couch cushions off. The other day I saw him taking the cushions off and dragging them toward the stairs. I figured it wasn't hurting anything so I let him continue. A minute later he came and grabbed my hand and led me to the stairs where he had put all the cushions and pillows. I decided I would make him a little fort and hoped he would stay there for awhile. It only worked for a minute but hey, it gave me a minute to just sit.
I look forward to when Ella is older and decides to destroy everything even more then she does now, not. Ella is so fun at this stage even though she doesn't sleep well and won't hold still. I love watching her grow and learn. I am grateful to be at home with her all day.

She is learning to walk and is very proud. She loves to applaud herself.

4 comments:

This Idaho Girl said...

She is getting so big. Can't believe she's one next month. Wish you lived closer.

BeckyB.West said...

She is already learning to walk? What a go-getter! I try to keep advice to myself, but since you asked for it...:) I'd say not to let Ella get into the habit of being rocked/held/ laid next to, to get her to fall asleep. As tough as it is, I'd let her cry it out until she learns to put herself to sleep. Sounds mean, but boy, does it pay off!

My cousin did all these same things to get her baby boy to sleep. He's now 3 years old, and still demands to be held and rocked in order to go down at bedtime. Never broke the habit:) My cousin goes bonkers.
Ella sure is cute!

Karen said...

Ella is getting big! And that adorable boy you watch sure looks like a handful! Good Luck! Brayden's sleeping habits seemed to always get messed up when he was teething or sick. He was always quick to go back to his normal routine once he felt better.

Halsey said...

Cute!! I can't believe how big she is; I think the last time we saw her was last Christmas! I hate that new phase of naps. KJ didn't crawl until he was a year old and it did ruin naps for a while. I would recommend letting her put herself to sleep. I helped KJ for a long time and it made naptime horrible for me and him. When I finally let him cry it out, he did it one or two times and has since been a pro self-calmer. Might not work with every kid, but I agree with Becky. Let her cry it out :( Painful now, but awesome later.